Thursday, August 22, 2013

Lab 2.1 - RC Circuit 

This lab is designed to teach me about Capacitors and the RC time factor:





  • An RC time constant is defined as:
    • the TIME required to charge (or discharge) a capacitor, through a resistor to 63 % of goal.
  • a capacitor fully charge/discharges over 5 rc time constants: 63% at a time.
  • in just 2.2 time constants you are 90%  there (63% to goal + 63% to goal + 12.6% to goal)




I aligned the trace so that it stretched from the 100% to 0% markers on my scope's screen. In order to do this I had to move the Horizontal time base 'cal' knob. I also used the time delay function to align the slope on the edge of the screen for maximum viewing 

 The very simple circuit as built. Of course I got excited and managed to use the wrong value of capacitor, but I finally realized my mistake and replaced my .001uf with a .01uf

Lab notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment